Your Role as a Strategic Business Counselor NOW

Hello lawyers! 

For those of you working with business owners, or considering working with business owners, I wanted to give you just a bit of insight about how important your role is during this time, and how it's likely quite different than the way you've been operating.

If you are serving business owners, you need to be thinking of yourself as a COACH, CONSULTANT, COUNSELOR, GUIDE to your business owner clients, helping them to make the best decisions they possibly can right now about what to do. This may mean getting into their financials with them, looking at their revenue model, helping them to access stimulus money, clean up their corporate reality, and there will be legal work that comes from the counseling/consulting, but first and foremost you need to think of yourself as a counselor right now. 

Now, more than ever your law degree needs to be used in a new way. You are not just here to draft legal documents, but instead to help your clients make good decisions. WISDOM is needed now more than ever. 

If you need support with how to do this, PLEASE ASK FOR IT HERE. And, I will discuss this more on our coaching calls this Thursday. Please be with me there.

Ali 

• Like 3

Hi @Ali Katz. I think I'd like to start doing this. @Jessica Seguin and I talked about it over a year ago and a few things have come up recently that have made me revisit this topic.

Before I started doing estate planning, I was a litigator specializing in construction litigation. I had a handful of business owner clients (GC's and subs) who are still with me. They have almost all reached out to me the last 2 weeks. In a call with one of my clients on Monday, I remembered how much I love serving those guys. They are such a pleasure to work with.

One side effect of this pandemic is I've had some space to really think about my systems, as well as evaluate the things that aren't working. As a result, I've given some serious thought to getting rid of my probate work (I really don't like it at all), and instead, replacing that time with serving my current business clients as well as finding new ones.

So, yes. I'd like some support with this. Mostly, I'm wondering how to market to both groups of clients. Wouldn't I have to double my efforts?

Thanks!

• Like 1

@Kim Rockwood, I love that you are saying 'yes' to this. What would be of service to you? Receiving support here in the forum or on one of our upcoming group coaching calls? We have our member call tomorrow at 4 pm EST. Feel free to either respond here to have us hold a spot on the agenda, or feel free to raise your hand during the call for 1 on 1 support. 

Thanks for continuing to show up and leverage Ali and Jessica's coaching. 

• Like 1

Hi Kim!

I feel excited reading your response here; I checked my calendar and see we're going to be speaking on Tuesday, so that's really good - will you be on today's Member Coaching call as well?

Jessica